Always take the high road, it's less traveled.
Phone: (317) 860-2901
Elliott D. Levin
While in law school, Mr. Levin received a Krannert Fellowship, was Managing Editor of the Indiana Law Journal, was a member of Beta Gamma Sigma and Phi Delta Phi honoraries, and was awarded the Order of the Coif. Following law school, he served two years as a Captain in the United States Army Armored Force. He presently serves on the Sigmund J. Beck Bankruptcy Roundtable, which is composed of five practicing lawyers and law school professors within the State of Indiana who conduct a yearly forum on bankruptcy. Mr. Levin has served as Adjunct Professor of Law at Indiana University School of Law, teaching courses in Creditors' Rights, Bankruptcy and Corporate Reorganization, and has written and lectured extensively.
Mr. Levin currently heads the task force for the Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Section of the Indiana State Bar Association that recommended to our Indiana Legislature the amendments to the Indiana exemption statute which recently became law. He also serves on the panel of U.S. Trustees in Chapter 7 proceedings.
Mr. Levin’s activities on behalf of the Commercial Law League of America have included service as Chairman of the Midwestern Regional Members Association and all of the officer positions leading up to the Chair. He has served as Chairman of the League's National Bankruptcy Committee, Chairman of its Local Bankruptcy Rules Committee, and Chairman of its Task Force on the U. S. Trustee System; terms as Executive Council Member, Secretary and Chairman of the Bankruptcy & Insolvency Section; Associate Editor and Vice-Chairman of the Commercial Law Journal's Board of Associate Editors, member and Vice-Chairman of the Bankruptcy Law Committee, Co-Chairman of the Legislative Committee and Co-Chairman of the Bankruptcy & Insolvency Education Committee. He currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Associate Editors, and is a Past-President of the League.
Mr. Levin is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute, and was elected from the Seventh Circuit to be a distinguished member of the American College of Bankruptcy. Through his efforts, various areas of bankruptcy law have been defined by decisions of the local Bankruptcy Court. As a practitioner in the areas of bankruptcy, commercial law, creditors' rights, insolvency, and loan restructuring and workouts, he has distinguished himself as a leader in his field.
The Firm and Mr. Levin place major emphasis upon providing representation to secured and unsecured creditors in a multitude of contexts. The practice includes representation of secured and unsecured creditors and Committees within the framework of out-of-court workouts and restructuring as well as within litigation and in the bankruptcy arena. Mr. Levin has been involved in virtually all of the major reorganization proceedings filed with both the Southern and Northern Districts of Indiana for nearly 40 years.
- Creditors' Rights
- Corporate Reorganization
Professional Associations and Affiliations
- Indiana State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Judicature Society
- Indiana Trial Lawyers Association
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 Named a Super Lawyer, which recognizes the top 5% of attorneys in the State of Indiana
- Named in the Top 10 Lawyers in the State of Indiana by Super Lawyers 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Education and Bar Admissions
- Indiana State Bar
- U. S. District Court for the Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- U. S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U. S. Supreme Court
- Indiana University School of Law, high honors, 1966
- "Who Gets the Goodies: What Happens to the Enhancement of the Secured Parties’ Collateral Post-Petition?", Commercial Law Journal, Spring 1997
- "Statute of Limitations for Bankruptcy Avoidance Actions Brought by Debtors in Possession", Commercial Law Journal, Winter 1992
- "Retention of Ownership Interest Over Creditor Objection -- How Intangible and Unsubstantial May the Substantial Contribution Be?", Commercial Law Journal, 1987
- "Collecting from Business Debtors", Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, 1982
- "Bankruptcy", Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, 1982
- "Basic Bankruptcy and Reorganization Law", Seventh Circuit Bar Association, 1981
- "Rights and Remedies of an Indiana Creditor", Indiana Continuing Legal Education Forum, 1980